Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Nashville Cats...

...Apparently do play "clean as country water" and "wild as mountain dew." After a rough week and a crazy start to the weekend (a late night gig at Vizzi's on Friday), I took off for Nashville, Tennessee, oblivious to the Bills' presence; I was there all weekend for a conference put on by Chris Mara and his associates at a relatively new studio down there called Welcome to 1979. Wto79 specializes in retro-style recording (2" analog, lots of vintage tube gear and instruments, and a healthy respect for "live" off-the-floor recording). The conference (called the Producers and Engineers Summit) featured a whole weekend's worth of break-out sessions, clinincs and panels on everything from DIY and vintage gear and "found sounds" to basic music business savvy and two live-to-two-track recording sessions (Saturday night's recording group was the Justin Kaulk Orchestra-- check them out on the web; very cool!).

All of the presenters were top-notch pros (engineers, producers, mastering engineers, musicians, and a major mic company rep), and I did enjoy the whole thing (as much as I could on 35 hours with no sleep), but two of my high-lights were meeting Mark Rubel, a producer from Illinois who shares my passion for whacked-out found sounds and vintage lo-fi noise-makers, and meeting and listening to Bob Ohlson, an engineer/producer/mastering engineer with a storied career that started with him as a 17-year old assistant engineer at the legendary Motown/Hitsville studio in Detroit.

If you're into any of this stuff at all, it would be a great idea to get down there next year and attend this event. Just make sure you don't have a gig the night before...

God Bless & Good Blues,

GJ

2 comments:

Randy Blevins said...

I must say it was a "great" 1st time event- Chris Mara and this staff put together an awesome weekend - If you missed it this year "DON"T MISS NEXT YEAR 4 SURE"
I sat in on the Tape Machine panel and hopefully provided some insight buying tape machines - also I joined in on " story" session OF COURSE'
Nashville's recording arena has been needing this !!
once again great job by all involved!
thanks
Randy Blevins
Blevinsaudio.com

Anonymous said...

Hey Randy!

By the way, you are one interesting Nashville Cat yourself with some very interesting stories!
Remind me to wear my flak-jacket if I ever come to pick-up some rental gear close to closing time... Thanks for your wisdom and insight, and I hope to see you down there next year.

GJ